November 22-25, 2021
Rising Economy Week 2021 is a future-defining conference that brings global and local thought leaders together to explore how we create our economy by design, not default.
Let’s Build Momentum
The 2nd annual Rising Economy Week brings business, government and community leaders together to move us beyond the pandemic and into the future with clarity and confidence.
At last year’s event, we explored what recovery looked like as we grappled with the pandemic. At this year’s event, we look to the future. What are our opportunities? How do we pave the path to a more sustainable, resilient, equitable, innovative economy? Are we prepared for the realities of a post-COVID world?
“Rising Economy Week 2021 is about sparking momentum to meet the challenges of the 21st century with confidence, clarity and a mindset of innovation.”
– Emilie de Rosenroll, CEO
South Island Prosperity Partnership
Your Rising Economy event experience includes:
- A focus on local and global thought leadership with In-Person and Virtual program featuring exciting keynotes, topical forums, roundtables, fireside chats and more.
- A high-energy, multi-channel experience with live and interactive content.
- Exclusive sessions with leading thinkers in economies, city-building, entrepreneurship, innovation, sustainability, diversity, wellbeing, education and more.
- An action-focused agenda with roundtables for idea sharing, visioning and networking around our economic future.
Meet our 2021 Keynote Speakers
Rapid Innovation Leader
Dan Breznitz is the author of Innovation in Real Places and The Third Globalization. He is the Munk Chair of Innovation Studies at the University of Toronto, where he also co-directs the Innovation Policy Lab. Professor Breznitz is known worldwide as an expert on innovation.
Jennifer Keesmaat is passionate about creating places where people flourish. Named one of the “most powerful people in Canada” by Maclean’s, she spent five years as Toronto’s Chief City Planner, where she was celebrated for her forward-thinking approach. Jennifer is a Distinguished Visitor in Residence Emeritus at the University of Toronto.
Ocean Robotics Pioneer
Julie Angus is CEO of Open Ocean Robotics, a company that develops autonomous energy-harvesting boats to collect information from our oceans and instantly relay it. The goal is to protect our oceans, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and build an Internet of Things for the ocean. Julie is a founding board member of the Centre for Ocean Applied Sustainable Technologies (COAST) and a National Geographic Adventurer of the Year.
Panels & Roundtables
Meaningful and thought-provoking conversations are vital for meeting the transformation challenges of the 21st century. Participate in panel discussions and roundtables dealing with big challenges and big ideas in a format designed for high engagement.
Recently announced panels:
- Top 10 Post-Pandemic Trends to Shape our Economy
- Unchecked and Unaffordable: Is it Too Late to Change Direction in our Approach to Housing?
- Shifting Power: Money and Meaning in the Emerging Indigenous Economy
- Age of Chaos: Turning Unpredictability into Opportunity
- Why We Need a New Story: Defining Greater Victoria in the 21st Century
- Climate Capital: Financing the Green Transition
- The Past is Not Our Future: Leaning into a New Era of Economic Development
Watch for more keynote and panel announcements over the coming weeks!
Get Ready for What’s Coming
Registration for Rising Economy 2021 will open in September. In the meantime please check this space for more exciting announcements about keynote speakers, panels, roundtables and bonus content.
Be one of the first to know! Sign up today for the Rising Economy 2021 newsletter.